Let me first say that I love our country. I may not like what it is turning into, but I am a fan of freedom, and hope that remains for a long time to come. In a world where tolerance is preached for everything except Christianity, where believing the Bible makes you intolerant, where you are told to embrace what makes you feel good and look out for number one, I have to say I am more a fan of the values the country used to hold dear…values and beliefs that are slipping away. If there was running water available, I think I would fit perfectly in Little House on the Prairie times; where people didn’t own too much stuff, where people worked an honest day’s work and slept well because of the efforts of the day, where you helped your fellow neighbor even if it was inconvenient, where prayer was a natural thing not just said at mealtimes and church, but throughout the day and without shame.
I am glad that God is unchanging. I am thankful that he is constant and consistent and His will and views don’t change based on what may feel right at the time. I praise Him that He loves each person despite their choices. Not saying that He likes their choices, in fact He hates all sin, mine and yours, but has great love for His people…such love that He sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins and suffer while living on earth.
Some interesting tidbits of our country’s history:
* In God We Trust is the official motto of the United States of America
* teachers at many public schools are not allowed to have a Bible in their desk or pray silently at their desk or wear a chain with a cross on it
* “It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”
– George Washington
* “Congress passed this resolution: “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.”
– United States Congress 1782
* “In regards to this great Book [the Bible], I have but to say it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this Book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it.”
– Abraham Lincoln
* Dwight Eisenhower recieved intercessory prayer that saved his leg from being amputated.
Just a little Sunday morning reading of what is, was and is to come. 🙂